FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
View our frequently asked questions about our products.
HAVE SOME QUESTIONS? WE’VE GOT ANSWERS.
INGREDIENTS, ALLERGENS & NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION
1. Where does Barnetts Bakery source its ingredients?
Approximately 60% of our ingredients are grown or made in Australia. This includes our flours, canola oil, grains, yeast, salt, sugar, and meats.
2. What about information for Barnetts Bakery products?
Please find the definition of our allergen icons below:
Vegan Friendly – May contain non-vegan ingredients
Dairy Friendly – May contain Milk or Milk products
Nut Friendly – May contain Peanuts or Tree Nuts
Egg Friendly – May contain Egg
3. Which products contain preservatives and additives?
Preservatives are one type of food additive that are used to prolong the shelf life of food by preventing deterioration.
All of Barnetts Bakeries Authentic Sourdough range of bread and rolls is 100% preservative free.
Barnetts Bakery products meet the guidelines set by Food Standards Australia on the use of safe additives.
4. What are allergens?
5. Which allergenic ingredients are used in our bakery
Cereals containing gluten
6. Does Barnetts Bakery bake gluten / wheat free breads?
7. Does Barnetts Bakery bake yeast free products?
Bakers yeast is an ingredient in products made at Barnetts Bakery but there are many products that have no yeast at all. Some exceptions being scones and our Authentic Sourdough.
The Authentic Sourdough products are made using traditional bread making methods. This means that the Authentic Sourdough doesn’t contain any bakers yeast; it is made using a culture of wild yeasts and bacteria which naturally occur in the air and flour. The culture continually ferments in flour and water and is used each time the sourdough is baked.
8. Do your products contain folic acid?
The level of fortification required is between 2 and 3 milligrams of folic acid per kilogram of wheat flour for making bread. Folic acid is the only permitted form of folate that can be used to meet these requirements. According to FSANZ, Bread will contain an average of 120 micrograms of folic acid per 100 grams (approximately three slices).
9. Do you bake bread with a low salt content?
10. Do any Barnetts Bakery products contain Genetically Modified ingredients?
11. Does Barnetts Bakery have soy-friendly products?
Due to the scratch baking method used in our bakeries, where products are prepared and baked from raw ingredients, we cannot guarantee that any product will be free of any ingredient used.
Here is the complete list of our ranges that don’t contain any soy:
12. Are any Barnetts Bakery products Halal certified?
VEGETARIAN / VEGAN PRODUCTS
1. Are any of your products suitable for vegetarians/vegans?
Please keep in mind that our products are prepared from scratch and whilst all care is taken there may be cross over between products.
1. Are Barnetts Bakery breads really baked fresh each day?
2. What happens to the left over products at the end of the day?
Where possible, Barnetts Bakery donate surplus bread to local charities and community groups across Australia. Donations are possible because of the relationships built between our bakery and the local community. We have systems in place to minimise the left over bread at the end of each day, and make every effort to ensure fresh baked bread is going to those who need it most.
In some situations, bread cannot be donated due to a charity party being unable to collect or not requiring product on the day. Certain products, such as those that contain meat cannot be donated.
3. Can you tell me how I can apply for a job at your bakery?
To apply for a position, you will need to contact the bakery here.
1. Can I place an order?
You certainly can! Please place your order here.
PLASTIC AND THE ENVIRONMENT
1. What is Barnetts Bakery offering instead of plastic bags?
2. How are our reusable bags better for the environment?
Paper carry bags require at least four times more water and nearly double the energy than plastic carry bags on average to produce
Plastic carry bags produce significantly less greenhouse gas emissions in production than paper
Plastic carry bags create 3-5 times less municipal solid waste than paper bags
STORING AND FREEZING BREAD
1.What is the best way to store my bread?
2. Can I freeze my bread?
When you’re ready to thaw, you’ve got a couple of options; remove the seal and leave it to thaw naturally and slowly in its packaging, or, if you’ve got hungry mouths to feed, remove it from the bag, wrap it in paper towel and put it in the microwave on high for bursts of 10 seconds until it’s perfectly soft and ready to eat. Be careful not to overheat.
1. What do I do if I have feedback about a product?
Due to the scratch baking methods used in our bakeries, minor variances may occur in our products. If you are disappointed with the product you have received, we recommend contacting the bakery, please fill out our contact us form here.
2. Got a new product idea? We’d love to hear about it
Let us know via our contact us form.